Forum ProPosts: 13,232Gear list
Like?
Re: Why Canon need a new sensor with low read out noise
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 28, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

aftab wrote:

aftab wrote:

Mikael Risedal wrote:

lot of rubbish , there are a big difference between 14 stops of DR and no pattern noise and 11 with pattern noise, show me a cleaner camera from Canon  than d600, d800 at base iso and DR range and I pay you 100 dollars cash

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

100 dollars? Nah, I want 500.

I don't think you are a troll as many tend to believe. But I do sometimes feel that you are like a kid. You keep saying the same thing again and again, but never can come up with a good example where D800 or D600's shadow lifted areas are noise free and usable. You are not doing any justice to Nikon either. I have seen better examples.

BTW, I didn't say Canon cameras are cleaner than Nikon at base ISO. I don't think anybody ever did.

Keep up the crusade against all the noise. Never let people like me or others to distract you.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

Here is a better example from D600. Exposed for the bright sun.

original

Shadow lifted, noise reduced

To be fair, one will have to admit that no Canon camera will come close. Image is noisy, but will be usable in a small size.

Sure we all know Nikon cameras win hands down in such scenarios that exposes on highlight then pull deep dark shadows many stops.  No dispute on that.  However such processed photo is better than no photo but still a crappy photo from perspective of IQ.  A better technique is available for this particular scene by using Singh-Ray Reverse GND filter that will dim sunlight on horizontal line but will still expose normally on the lower half part of the main subject, the boat in this scene.  You will have a much better photo by using the filter and shoot on a tripod.

http://www.singh-ray.com/reversegrads.html

Extreme shadow pulling doesn't replace better techniques but could rescue a photo otherwise will definitely throw out, just lesser of evil

OP's photos are underexposed.  I'd expose normally in that scene.  Sure the ceiling lights will be overblown (ceiling lights or "highlights" are not persevered well in such under-exposure photos anyway) but you will have much better IQ in church details.  OPer used much better Sigma 35/1.4 on D800 while Canon 35/1.4 on Canon so it's not very valid comparison.  He should either use Nikon 35/1.4 on D800 or also use Sigma 35/1.4 on Canon.I am not disputing Nikon has better DR or precisely extreme shadow pulling ability but just saying extreme shadow pulling is not a goo

.technique and will not result good IQ anyway.

It appears you've still not learned that it is not "shadow pulling.". And filters dont do a better job than having a higher DR.  you'll see...when Canon is able to deliver, you'll sing its praises.

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

-- hide signature --
 The Davinator's gear list:The Davinator's gear list
Canon PowerShot G3 Canon PowerShot SX150 IS Canon EOS D30 Canon EOS 10D Nikon D2X +18 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow