Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikael Risedal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,434
Like?
Re: Why Canon need a new sensor with low read out noise
In reply to killingbuddha, Apr 28, 2013

killingbuddha wrote:

Mikael Risedal wrote:

A digital sensor/camera  with great DR means also exposure freedom.

This is inside a church and the light in the roof is the the high light, 5dmk3 and d800 are exposed identically time, f-stop  so there will be reproduction of the high light with out any clipping when the high light is adjusted the same in camera raw .

Then the rest of the picture are handle in the same way regarding middle tones and down in to shadows .The results in noise and details   is shown here.  100iso 1/80 sec F1,4  canon 35/1,4 and Sigma 35/1,4

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

IMHO this shot was grossly underexposed. You could have exposed 2 stops brighter or more and not had to deal with the shadows as much. You should exposed much farther to the right. You would have blown highlights that are unrecoverable in the actual lights but it wouldn't matter. They are lights after all and many stops brighter than shadowed areas so far away from them (inverse square law...)

In my experience, Canon can recover highlights quite nicely (not these lights but who cares...nothing of interest in a bulb) but struggles with shadows. Knowing that lets you shoot to best accommodate your tool in hand.

-- hide signature --

Peter Buehner
Sports Photographer
UMaine Black Bears
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lingering-Light-Photography/249653641770344
www.lingeringlight.com
Maine, USA

Then you have not read the criteria, expose so the high lights= lamp  can be reproduced with out any warning about clipping.  This is DR from the whitest to the darkest and how a sensor or camera can reproduce it in a comparison.= if I had exposed the motive richer then  the high lights are clipped, information gone, I have done several different exposures and all ready at 1/40sec the high lights can not be reproduced

Canon 5dmk2 mk3 etc can not recover more high lights than for example Nikon d800 above middle grey

Here you can se when I tested what can be reproduced  or not from both cameras and above middle grey

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=13980.0

at f-4 the both cameras could reproduce the colors in qp-card reference card equally good

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow