Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mikael Risedal
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,260
Like?
Re: Why Canon need a new sensor with low read out noise
In reply to naththo, Apr 28, 2013

naththo wrote:

Mikael Risedal wrote:

A digital sensor/camera  with great DR means also exposure freedom.

This is inside a church and the light in the roof is the the high light, 5dmk3 and d800 are exposed identically time, f-stop  so there will be reproduction of the high light with out any clipping when the high light is adjusted the same in camera raw .

Then the rest of the picture are handle in the same way regarding middle tones and down in to shadows .The results in noise and details   is shown here.  100iso 1/80 sec F1,4  canon 35/1,4 and Sigma 35/1,4

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

I believed him what he said and the picture above. I compared these with my photoshop CS6, still same story as you got. Canon 5D MKIII still showing ugly shadow noise compare to Nikon D800 has no problem.  So its a serious side effect problem from Canon sensor though, as it is a flaw in the sensor noise ratio or so. Sony sensor has done very well to produce those to reduce shadow side effect noise problem. But they won't give away their Sony's secret. I had a goo dlook at iso info both are same 100. Bit disappointed to see Canon hasn't improved sensor yet I supposed but they still make excellent lens otherwise though. Although I heard that Canon videography is much better than Nikon for night shooting video with higher iso. It just blow away Nikon big time. Still photos seem to be different story though yes.

There is no Sony secret, it is sensor design with short analog signal way to the edge of the sensor where Sony; Toshiba , Aptina has raw wise ADC mounted. Canon transport their analog signal from the sensor  to a ADC and trough analog gain and have also have late stage amplifying.

To produce similare sensors Canon needs better sensor lines that can handle larger sensor surfaces with high accuracy/precision and have the know how to build similar sensors or a own new sensor with better read out noise at base iso

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow