D7100 Purchased! -- Thinking of a DX? -- Read This!

Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
r0gue
Junior MemberPosts: 38
Like?
D7100 Purchased! -- Thinking of a DX? -- Read This!
Apr 28, 2013

It's done.  This has been an incredible difficult decision for me.  I am usually very good at the process of research and decisions, particularly when it comes to technology.  But in this case, the art, and science, and preference variations of photography nearly took me down.   Even the old fall back of throwing absurd amounts of money at the problem didn't seem to bring me to a clear and certain conclusion.

I sincerely thank each and every one of you that helped me through this process.  I purchased the items below (prices included as a means to explain the purchase of the not-great zoomer).

Nikon D7100 DSLR Camera (Body Only)
$1,196.95
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G DX Lens 
$196.95
Nikon AF-S DX VR Zoom-Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G IF-ED Lens
$146.95

I look at it as though I've only truly purchased a good prime.  But between the two I should be able to start to gain better understanding of the many concepts you all have been trying to impress upon me.

Reasoning: The D7100 decision was pretty easy.  The reviews were gleaming and the only alternative I was drawn to was a D7000.  For the cost difference, it seemed worth it to me.  The 35mm prime was also recommended by so many on the forums that it seemed impossible not to select it as a long term player.  I was researching the prime when I found this link to Ken Rockwells DREAM TEAM.

His review included that very same prime 35mm, plus a wide angle and a tele.  He offered suggestions to varying alternative combos.  In the end, looking at alternative reviews of the same lenses elsewhere, I think he may have been going a little easy on them in terms of image quality, but from a utility standpoint, it seemed he had a good handle on typical scopes of need.

In the end, while holding off on the wide angle for now (still thinking I may want to do that with primes), I pulled the trigger on the inexpensive 55-200 just to start the learning process and to help guide me when I do start spending respectable sums of money on respectable glass.  Ken reviewed the 55-200  quite positively and after all, how much can one lose on depreciation at resale on a $147 lens!

Thanks once more everyone!

Nikon D7000 Nikon D7100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow