Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim in Hudson
Senior MemberPosts: 1,136Gear list
Like?
Re: Flash subsystem....are we overlooking the 'obvious'??
In reply to brecklundin, Apr 28, 2013

brecklundin wrote:

A thought just sneaked in and it's perhaps what has Pentax China's wet knickers is not the camera, it might just be another APS-C but rather could be finally be seeing a modern flash system introduced? We all know this is one area where Pentax lags significantly.

I would love to see such a system introduced with whatever the new body might be. Also a highly rated flash system would likely motivate a large number of body upgrades out in the ether, especially among those who have seen no reason to upgrade their K20D. Plus as a great gesture they could issue firmware updates to the K5 era bodies forward to let those bodies make use of a new flash system. I see that as not unreasonable to hope.

A new and well regard flash subsystem also might remove a big reason a lot of new DSLR, or someone looking to change systems, go with other brands. Maybe? Might be good for 645 shooters as well. But most studio shooters are using more traditional studio lighting rather than external flash solutions. But out in the real world flashes are great tools but ya need a solid way to control it remotely.

I doubt anything Pentax issues would be Nikon level but if they can manage to reach Canon's level here that would be wonderful for sure. At least to me...it is the only thing I miss from shooting Canon. Their flashes are marvelous.

Nikon's flash system certainly helps them sell the D4 and probably a few D800 and other high end units.  However, the vast majority of their overall DSLR sales are due to having good cameras and even better marketing of their brand.  Nikon has created and maintained a halo around their name.  When was the last time anyone went to a camera or large electronics store and didn't see Nikon prominently displayed and available?

Would I like a better flash system from Pentax?  Yes.

Would a better flash system help Pentax overall?  Probably.

If I ran Pentax, is this the basket where I'd put a bunch of eggs?  Don't think so... I can think of higher priority ones.

Jim in Hudson's gear list:Jim in Hudson's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Pentax K-3 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR Pentax smc DA 35mm F2.4 AL +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow