Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
eques
Senior MemberPosts: 1,854Gear list
Like?
Panini projection?
In reply to CrisPhoto, Apr 28, 2013

CrisPhoto wrote:

Hi,

recently I bought the Samyang 7.5/f3.5 fisheye because I wanted to see with my own eyes what can be done with such a lens. I already have the mFT 9-18mm so this lens duo might be redundant and at the end I have to decide which lens to keep ...

First day I went out and took some test pictures (unfortunately the weather and light was not good.)

There have been many threads about fisheyes and UWA lenses in this forum, but a want to show you my own results. This is not a thread about "having fun with fisheye" as such, it is more about the "defishing" theme.

I went to my favorite barn and made the following pictures:

• Panasonic 12-35 @12mm
  • Olympus mFT 9-18mm @9mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm defished @6mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm defished cropped to FOV 9mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm defished with "Panini" projection
  • 3x Pana12-35 (portrait orientation) stitched with "general Panini" projection

Panasonic 12-35 @12mm

Samyang 7,5mm

Samyang with "general Panini" projection (FOV 4,5mm?)

3x Pana 12-35 @12mm stitched with "general Panini" projection (FOV 4.5 again)

My current opinion is like this:

• The fisheye is very sharp
  • It can be used as a UWA and the sharpness is acceptable like 10MPixels
  • It is very versatile. I made very astonishing "fisheyes" and some UWA pictures as well
  • Defishing rectilinear is way to extreme, needs cropping away 30%
  • Defishing with Panini projection gives very nice "instant panoramas". Sharpness is good enough for screen and medium prints and I would say it looks like 10Mpxls resolution

I would really like to hear your feedback or your experiences regarding the fisheye versatility/defishing thing.

Best regards

Christof

My opinion and experiences of the fisheye:

1. It is indeed very sharp and delivers excellent contrast and colors.
  2. There are situations, where you can use the FE as UWA without cropping. (Landscapes without off centre straight vertical lines)
  3. It is indeed very versatile, I like to use it for close ups too.
  4. I use the FisheyeHemi plugin to PS. It just has 3 options, I use 2 or 3.
    http://www.imagetrendsinc.com/products/prodpage_hemi.asp

How do you do the Panini projection? This looks extremely good and IQ is nearly as good as in stitched picture.

Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow