Started Apr 28, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Fat Dragon
Regular MemberPosts: 192
Like?
Too much diversification?
Apr 28, 2013

I'm more of a laptop nut than a camera enthusiast. In the notebook world, one significant aspect of how well a company does financially seems to be how little they can diversify their lineup while still covering most consumers' needs. An extreme example is Apple with a very limited range of notebooks that sell like hotcakes, while HP has, in the past few years, offered dozens of various models, with several nearly-identical models competing for the same customer base and diluting their profits so they nearly pulled out of the PC business in spite of being the world's largest manufacturer by volume.

When I look at lists of the different cameras offered by many major camera companies, they remind me much more of HP's portfolio than Apple's. It could be that this is primarily an issue of manufacturer websites listing older models as well as what is current, which makes the list look more bloated than it actually is, but it makes me wonder how camera companies can make any money.

What do you think is the maximum level of product diversification before a camera company ends up spending more money to compete with itself than it can generate in new sales? How often should they update the models in their lineup? Who's doing a good job with this and who's got it muddled?

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow