Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
aftab
Veteran MemberPosts: 8,127Gear list
Like?
Re: Well. there you go.
In reply to qianp2k, Apr 28, 2013

qianp2k wrote:

aftab wrote:

Long and tortuous path, Rick. Things we do for our love of photography.

I started with Pentax ME Super and a fast 50mm prime in 1980. I loved that combo and learned photography with it. From many exciting experiences with it one stuck to my mind more than others; using shallow dof to isolate subject/point of interest and beauty of bokeh. During this time I had the opportunity to use Nikon F3 too from a good friend, I liked it very much. So, I planned, in future when it was time to get a 'real camera' it would be a Nikon F series camera.

But life is what happens to you when you are planning other things.

After becoming a doctor and after the death of Pentax I couldn't do photography for many years. Then many wildlife images in National Geographic (and similar) brought me be back to photography in 2003. I started with FZ series and in 2006 I was ready for a DSLR. So, I decided to get a Nikon. To my disappointment I discovered that Canon was The Man in wildlife photography, Nikon was a teenager (things have changed since then). Moreover Canon had 5D, Nikon didn't have an answer. With great reluctance and uncertainty I bought 5D, 100-400 and 24-70. Since then I bought many L lenses (two 1.2 primes for my shallow dof craziness) and upgraded 5D bodies. Never been disappointed with my equipment, they never were the limitation for my photography, I was.

My photography is about expression and storytelling. It is like a poem or painting where you try to feel and convey the inner meaning and beauty. Going beyond what you see or read. I am not a fan of postcard style landscapes or magazine style portraits. Edge to edge sharpness doesn't excite me, but interplay of light, shadow (not lifting), mood/atmosphere and composition do.

an interesting story

Anyways, I bought D600 (along with 24-85 kit lens and 14-24/2.8) several months ago because I always wanted to get a Nikon. I also wanted to use its great shadow lifting capabilities. Am I happy with it? That's another story.

please share with us this story from your experience.  You're one of those I believe will tell true stories

Thanks.

I am not too sure about 'truth'. We have our own perspectives, we all are biased one way or the other. But here you go.

D600 is an excellent camera barring oil spots. Yeah, they started to show after few months.

In 99% of the time I don't see a difference between D600 and Canons if we consider pure IQ (resolution, color, noise etc). For my photographic style, I do better with 5D3, because it is simply a better camera with better responsiveness, better control, better interface and because I have more Canon lenses to play with (and pretend to be creative).

I was really hoping that Nikon will deliver in difficult DR. It didn't. It was better than Canon, but not good enough to obviate the need of filters or better technique. In situations where DR was not extreme, I could equally use Canon and Nikon.

If I had more Nikon lenses I am sure I will be happy with D600. At the moment I have no use for it. I am thinking of selling it, but I can't. I can't sell a camera with oil spots. I am stuck.

That's my story.

This is a great time for photographers irrespective of the brand one uses. So, let's smile

great shot, I like this one.  HDR look but impressive.

A boatman in Vietnam

-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

-- hide signature --
-- hide signature --

Life is short.
Travel with passion.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/catch45/

aftab's gear list:aftab's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ1000 Canon EOS 5D Mark III Nikon D600 Canon EOS 7D Mark II +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SadNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow