"Equivalence" demonstrated: Canon 5D and Panasonic GX1

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Detail Man
Forum ProPosts: 14,837
Like?
Re: "Equivalence" demonstrated: Canon 5D and Panasonic GX1
In reply to walkaround, Apr 28, 2013

walkaround wrote:

There has been a lot of talk by a few people here about "total light", and how an f/1.4 lens on a m4/3 camera supposedly acts like an f/2.8 in regards to "light on the sensor", etc.

Don't believe it. They tell us that photons are particles - then they tell us they are waves. Bosh !

Other than slight differences in the magnification of the two lenses ... and the obvious DOF difference, ...

No big woof ...

... the exposures are equivalent. They are the same. When I print both photos on 4x6, they look the same.

May I suggest the more rigorous standard of viewing 2.0"x1.5" prints at a 6' viewing distance ?

"Total light on the sensor" is a meaningless concept. Exposure and density is not.

Hear, hear ! After all, the total light over a given time period that illuminates a unit area on the image sensor has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the same thing over the entire image sensor. Why anybody with a head connected to their shoulders would liken them is quite beyond me.

We all know that "equivalent" really means "good 'nuff for me". We bow to your pithy genius.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow