Started Apr 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
grumpyolderman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,085
Like?
size of lenses from different systems
Apr 28, 2013

We all know that one advantage of m43 is the small size, not necessarily of the body, but mainly of the lenses. Nex are often smaller than m43 and the new sony DSLR is smaller/equal to some m43 bodies. In the DSLR world some ff lenses are identical in size to crop sensor lenses. So I am wondering what actually determines the size of a lens, it does not seem to depend greatly on the sensor size, but mainly on the aperture, and of course same focal length result in different FoV, and one can always discuss equivalence in DOF and/or total light on the sensor 

But my guess is that the differences in lens sizes are not so greatly depend on sensor size, but more on chosen designs (e.g.pancake), mainly the aperture and the intended quality of the picture. Of course most crop/ff lenses are bigger and heavier than m43 lenses, but not all, see example below. On top of this m43 lenses have to be able to produce higher resolution to give good results on the smaller and more densely pixel packed sensor. All together this might explain why we have to pay top whack for m43 lenses compared do DSLR lenses (which have also been produced in far higher numbers for a long time).

So it looks like might take a long time before we the full benefits of m43 lenses, which should be cheaper I heard often said as they uso less expensive materials (glas and metal). And can someone more knowledgeable chime in on the size differences?

JL

just look at the sizes/weights for these very comparable lenses for m43 and ff, no less.

Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow