Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
il_alexk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,940Gear list
Like?
Re: Barking mad
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Apr 28, 2013

Alex Sarbu wrote:

Canon did it in different times, and they had to (in order to introduce electronic contacts and AF). Nobody changes their mount with no good reason.

In this case, going for the old, manual focus, longer than other MILC mounts Leica M would do no good; it's worse than e.g. Sony E to adapt other brands' lenses, it's ancient, it's niche. Pentax would gain nothing, but would lose a lot by screwing up their customer base (which is K-mount).

I am curious if you could shed more light on the following two questions:

1. How releasing both Leica and Pentax mounts at the same time screws up their customer base? I do understand that this may cause some anger with Pentax fanboys, but talking about normal customers, why do they care about having more than one option?

2. If supporting both mounts does hurt feelings of some loyal Pentax clients, why do you think Ricoh Pentax Ricoh-Pentax still sells GXR cameras?

You weren't talking about "releasing both Leica and Pentax mounts at the same time".

Yes I was - "I assume them to come out with both Leica and K-mounts at the same time", see  http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51359469 :).

You were talking about adopting an old, manual focus, no electric contact, niche rangefinder mount, while the K-mount users would have to use K-mount adapters (which would somehow have full compatibility and be completely "free", I presume )

It looks like you see my assumption as a M-mount camera with additional K-mount adaptor. This is far from what I've suggested. Ricoh GXR is essentially a camera with interchangeable mounts (and sensors). I know, Ricoh has never bothered to make a mount other than M-mount, but technically it is possible.

Therefore, I suggested the new FF camera to be similar to GXR style - FF digital back which can be used with interchangeable M and K lens mounts. The K-mount could support AF, the M-mount will have the focus peaking.

What you failed to understand is that supporting a niche mount like Leica M would only benefit to some of the Leica M users, and that nothing is free.

Lost you... Who said anything about being free?

But go ahead, hide behind words like "fanboys" and snide remarks like "hurt feelings". It's better than accepting your idea might be impractical, right?

No manufacturer would go to such lengths just to facilitate usage of competitors' lenses; indeed, Pentax won't do this.

There is actually one manufacturer that is already doing this for years. Let's see f you can guess its name ;). Click here if you can't.

It's not the same; there is no Ricoh mount and lens line to compete with the Leica's.

Not true. The Ricoh glass (GR28, GR21, Unit 1, Unit2, etc.) directly competes with Leica/CZ/Voigtlander/etc.

In fact, making a M-mount FF is definitely not "unique", as Leica is doing it for years.

A FF digital back that accepts more than one lens mount is unique IMO. An affordable digital FF body which is fully compatible with M-glass is also something that will definitely grab its niche market. If the same body supports K-mount as well, it will be even more unique.

-- hide signature --

Cheers,
Alex

il_alexk's gear list:il_alexk's gear list
Pentax K-5 Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4 +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow