Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
micronean
Regular MemberPosts: 296Gear list
Like?
Re: Means little
In reply to MichaelKJ, Apr 27, 2013

MichaelKJ wrote:

YouDidntDidYou wrote:

DSLRs market share is eroding because they have failed to evolve with the consumer over the last 5 years.

living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.YouDidntDidYou.com

Mirrorless took some market share from DSLRs, but that appears to have stopped about one year ago.

What do you think DSLRs should have done to maintain market share?

I think most people would find Thom's interpretation more credible than yours. I've seen my sons and many friends go from being frequent users of their DSLRs to only using them on special occasions. Their iPhones have completely replaced their compact cameras and about 90% of the photos they used to take with their DSLRs.

What advantage does a smartphone have over a DSLR? It's definitely not IQ, nor sensor size (and all the advantages a large sensor brings). It's all about size, convenience, and the ability to share a photo immediately. DSLRs cannot--and will not--compete in this realm.

There was probably a time when the only way to take a nice quality photo was to use a DSLR, and so its size, expense, and sophistication, was more of a compromise to the average consumer (In fact, I remember the early point-and-shoot, "5MP", cameras had a terrible delay resulting in blur, and the colors were a tad off, and it was nearly impossible to take a good picture once the sun began to set). Quality has now caught up sufficiently in smaller cameras and we now see what features were not really wanted by consumers.

DSLRs just cannot meet this demand. They were not designed for it. It's perfectly natural that its sales drop. It ISN'T natural that manufacturers keep pushing cheap DSLR models, or giving them huge rebates, to push sales towards a design that will never meet the casual consumers' prime demands. That's ridiculous!

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow