storage question: Nikon Transfer and iPhoto/Aperture

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
dlevitt
Regular MemberPosts: 299Gear list
Like?
Re: storage question: Nikon Transfer and iPhoto/Aperture
In reply to Tone654, Apr 27, 2013

I think you've been working too herd 

Aperture [and iPhoto] can be configured to use a 'referenced' library, where you say 'I am totally responsible for the original files'.

When you are using a referenced library, the Aperture/iPhoto library will contain only rendered preview images, metadata, and the recipes used to create exported images. The 'managed' library adds the master/original files.

The library is just a file system directory tree, with a special attribute set so the Finder hides the contents [until you tell it to show you the contents]. Again, if you open it to peek at the inside, you are telling the computer 'trust me, I know what I'm doing'. There are tools to help manage the libraries, like the iPhoto Library Manager and Aperture's built in features.

As an old time computer curmudgeon, I would like to remind readers that trying to manage the image files yourself so you 'know where they are' is for the most part a fools errand. Once you get to the 'volume' or 'disk drive' level, you can't really point with certainty just where on the physical media your image resides. Probably the last generation of media where you could know where a file actually resided was hard sector floppy disks for CP/M-80 2.x

For photos the important think is being able to find them, by camera generated metadata [timestamp, focal length, mode...] or by metadata you assign them [album names, subject name, category, place, event, keywords]. I prefer to have assistance from the computer in dealing with images and their metadata.

-- hide signature --

Save the Earth! Collect the entire set!

dlevitt's gear list:dlevitt's gear list
Canon PowerShot A70 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Apple Aperture +3 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow