Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
PatMann
Contributing MemberPosts: 726
Like?
Re: No - My D400 must be an all-around camera
In reply to olliess, Apr 27, 2013

My most demanding shooting is wildlife, and I don't want to be doing that with half the image area on my retina. I don't know if you've ever tried to shoot or focus anything in the DX crop area of a full frame camera, but it ain't pretty - far different than shooting it with the higher magnification of a D300 or D200 finder. If all you're doing is finding the frame and not trying to check your image or focus, then it's probably OK, but for critical work, it's definitely suboptimal.

If I could afford a second camera for the other subjects I like to photograph, the D800e would meet those needs nicely with my old AIs lenses, and eventually maybe if the cars hold together another couple if years I will go that way as the prices fall, particularly if Nikon continues to underserve the DX format with lenses. However, I would much prefer to have a great all-around DX camera that provides a sensor competitive in the current field, and the lenses for that format that serve the entire spectrum of photographic subjects.

-- hide signature --

Pat

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow