Any thing wrong with using AF-C permanently?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mako2011
Mako2011 MOD
Forum ProPosts: 15,732
Like?
Re: All
In reply to Brev00, Apr 27, 2013

Brev00 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

Brev00 wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

nfpotter wrote:

Yes, VR still works at the time of the shot.  Yes you can still get VR with a shutter button half-press.  What is the point of using the AF-ON button, if you still have to half-press the shutton button?

You do not have to half press the shutter button to get VR...You do have to fully press the shutter button to take the picture...when you do that, VR engages and works as always to mitigate the effects of camera shake.

Obviously, many of you don't realize how much easier VR make INITIAL FOCUS ACQUISITION WITH A LONG LENS.   For me, none.  AND, still promotes a weak grip.

That is indeed another use for VR...but not required for the shot.

I don't understand this reply.  If Master Potter uses vr (os) to help acquire initial focus with his Bigma, then he requires it.

Sure it helps him hold steady, but it is not required to get the camera shake reduction benefits to the capture.

I would think that using os only at the precise moment of capture would decrease his keeper rate or, at least, entail a continuous shooting style.

Not really as VR completely resets at the moment the mirror starts to rise so keeper rate should not change.

I wasn't referring to the vr interfering with the image acquisition.  I was trying to say that because the end of the lens moves slightly during firing, without vr the framing slightly shifts making the odds of getting the intended frame lower and, to a degree, more random.

Except at the moment you try and take the shot...VR resets and the lens is recenter. What you last saw in the viewfinder may not be what the sensor first sees. I does help though in many ways to have VR help with panning and framing.  No denying that.

This only matters if the original framing is a vital component of the final image.  With cameras like the D800 and D7100, there are pixels to burn.  Shoot wide and crop.  With my mere 12 mp, I try to maintain my frame.  I don't know what M.P.'s style is in regards to the original frame (kinda sounds like a Supreme Court issue).

Too cool.  Lots of tech going on!

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
AllNew
ManyNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow