First look at the E-P5

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
photodan1
Contributing MemberPosts: 568Gear list
Like?
Re: YES! Re: Consider selling E-M5 for E-P5?
In reply to dylanear, Apr 27, 2013

dylanear wrote:

highwave wrote:

dylanear wrote:

Laszlo13 wrote:

It seems there's quite a bit of interest in the E-P5, but enough for people to considering selling the E-M5 for E-P5?

I LOVE my E-M5, but don't use the viewfinder all that much. Really miss being able to put my E-P1 with 20mm pancake in a large pant or jacket pocket.

Same exact thing here. Basically I read everywhere that a camera without a viewfinder just isn't worth it. For that reason I decided to go for the OM-D and see if this claimed must viewfinder is really worth the portability  penalty.

So far I struggle to see why a viewfinder is a must. Sure I use it in case of extremely bright light (sun right straight behind you), or when tracking motion, or when using a very long focal length. But still overall I can't see where this "must" claim is coming from.  I would say a tilting LCD screen is a way bigger must than a viewfinder as I find myself using that more often than the viewfinder.

This E-P5 will definitely be more pocketable than the OM-D. That's for sure.

Don't get me wrong, I do like a VF and find them useful. just on MFT for my personal style of use I think an optional add on will work best. I only use the VF on the E-M5 maybe 20% of the time, but I DO use it. If I swapped back to a non VF model, and especially if the new add on EVF is of higher quality then the E-M5's VFs now, I will want the add on. 
     But MFT is not my only system either. I rarely use Live View on my D800e or D300, those optical viewfinders are SO much bigger and clearer than the E-M5s EVF. I find it hard to judge critical sharpness, focus, and tonalities on the EM-5 EVF and have better luck using the LCD. So it depends on what and how I'm shooting, and the quality of the VF/LCD available. There is no ONE answer to this debate for everyone. 
     It's funny too, because when I first got the E-P1, my first camera with no VF, it took months before I stopped instinctively holding the thing up to my eye!!! It was embarrassing!  LOL!
     If MFT was my only camera and the EVF resolution was better I might find it worth it to have the VF built on. But since for me MFT is my "portable, on the go, carry around at all times" system AND because an add on EVF is available, I think I might prefer a not built in >IF< it adds bulk and a large snag to the body shape. If they could fit one in a PEN without making it much bigger or adding a large snag prone lump, still have a pop up flash, that would be best of both worlds!!!

I have an epm2 and really like it. The one issue for me with the Pens, however, is in using flash. With a larger speed light on a pen you give up the ability to use the vf. I like the idea of the built in flash that can be used as a controller. I actually prefer to use the touchscreen to focus and shoot, but on a really bright day here in Tennessee,  the LCD is really a crapshoot. Another issue is with using wireless triggers outside on a bright day.

-- hide signature --

G3, E-PM2, E-PM1, 45 Oly, 17 1.8 Oly, 14-42 RII, 14-42 Pany, 40-150 Oly, Metz 50-AF
Flickr stream: http://www.flickr.com/dankanephotography/

photodan1's gear list:photodan1's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow