Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard
Senior MemberPosts: 4,128Gear list
Like?
Re: It would be nice if Canon had a new sensor with low read out noise
In reply to Mikael Risedal, Apr 27, 2013

Mikael Risedal wrote:

Schwany wrote:

Canon cameras aren't real kind to single frame HDR style post processing. Looks to me like the  additional pixels in the d800 are really helping here as well. Even if the noise was smoother and less violent, the details wouldn't be there in the 5DMkIII image. That's just my unedumacated photographer opinion, which is meaningless.

It will be somewhat interesting to see if the 1DX is really any better for this kind of thing. However, I generally try to avoid reworking a scene this underexposed in the shadows. Nothing wrong with that kind of post processing, I just know it doesn't work with the Canon cameras I own to date.

This is a tuff motive, the lamp is a high light far above 4stops of middle grey and it needs a exposure after the high lights so the high lights can be reproduced with out clipping.

NOW, with a large DR there are less problems to reproduce informations in the lower levels, shadows, with a large DR and with out banding it is even easier, Canon has in theirs cameras less DR 11-11.8 stop compared to 14 stops in Nikon and they have also banding, but 1dx shows suddenly less banding, its means that Canon are not using the ultimate electronics in 5dmk2 5dmk3 etc compared to 1dx. 1dx has about 11.2 stops DR compared to 5dmk3 who has 11 stop DR but also banding

-- hide signature --

Member of Swedish Photographers Association since 1984
Canon, Hasselblad, Leica,Nikon, Linhoff, Sinar
Member of International anti-banding and read out noise Association

According to DXO it's 11.8 for the 1Dx vs 11.7 for the 5dmk3.  Banding is a different matter, of course.  I quote DXO because of all the review sites they post the biggest difference in results between canon and nikon that I know of.

I'm not shocked that the 1dx would have better electronics though, given that it's twice the price.

Question though, you stated earlier that your style of photography doesn't allow for HDR, but certainly this shot could have been done with HDR, even hand held.  Usually the HDR issue comes when there are people moving about and you want to isolate them, in my opinion...so can you expand a bit on the types of photographs you take that would preclude HDR??  Again, certainly easier with a camera with more DR in 1 shot, no question....

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +13 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow