Why Win8 will succeed. Or fail.

Started Apr 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
skyglider
Senior MemberPosts: 2,675Gear list
Like?
Re: "Pie in the Sky Drive" out here...
In reply to Abrak, Apr 27, 2013

Abrak wrote:

Actually it takes precisely 'one-click' to shut down windows 8. All you do is click either the 'shutdown' 'sleep' or 'restart' tiles that you have put on your Windows 8 start menu.

Many users don't know (or want to know) how to customize Win8 to install one click tiles on the Win8 UI.  They just want it easy to use out of the box.  Why MS refused to realize that and just put the Restart and Shutdown tiles on the Win8 UI as defaults and decided to bury them in "Settings" (of all places) is mind boggling to me.

As a matter of fact, most of the people I know don't want to Google to learn how to set up ANY version of Windows.  They just learned how to open programs using the desktop's Start menu and just want to continue doing it that way.  I taught them how to install desktop shortcuts on their WinXP to Win7 PCs and I installed the shortcuts they usually use for them.  Fast forward a few years later, they only have the shortcuts I installed for them and open all other software that they subsequently installed (that did not auto install desktop shortcuts for them), using the desktop's Start Menu.  They don't remember how to install desktop shortcuts any more and don't want to take the time to try to relearn how to do it.

MS should not have removed the desktop's Start Menu from Win8, and should have also included an option to boot directly to the desktop.  What would have been the harm in keeping all of the desktop's capability intact?  If Win8's user interface is that good, users would naturally migrate to it without an attempt to be forced to use the Win8 UI.

Sky

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow