"Equivalence" demonstrated: Canon 5D and Panasonic GX1

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
walkaround
Senior MemberPosts: 1,061Gear list
Like?
Re: Are you kidding me?!
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 27, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

All you've demonstrated is that the GX1 has a more efficient sensor than the 5D, and that the predictions of Equilvance are exactly as stated.

So, that's an epic fail on your part.

The problem mr bustard is that you pick a definition of "equivalent" for two photographs that incredibly does not include exposure which is the basis of photography. From your website essay:

"Equivalent photos are photos of a given scene that share the following five parameters:

•  Perspective •  Framing •  DOF •  Shutter Speed •  Display Dimensions

Equivalent images on different formats, by definition, will not have the same exposure, and this is the source of most all resistance to the concept."

(my emphasis)

You should have wrote "by my definition", because I can't imagine there are very many people outside of this forum who believe that two photos two stops apart in exposure are in any way "equivalent", and you choosing to define it such just makes your definition irrelevant. The resistance to your "concept" that you note is because it doesn't make sense. I can write an article on cooking and state that the definition of good cooking does not include "taste", but who cares and who would want to read it?

Now this is all ok if you're just chatting with mom in the basement, but we now have threads here where people say "I'm going to buy the new Voigtlander f/0.95 because having an f/2.0 lens will still be fast enough for me." Sheesh.

I wouldn't expect someone with 15000 posts to ever say "you're right", but hopefully others will see that they can go out and buy that f0.95 lens and it will in fact still be an f0.95 lens when they get home and stick it on their m4/3 camera.

And if you are now claiming that the GX1 sensor is 4x more efficient than the 5D, please post a source for that information because I think it's nonsense.

walkaround's gear list:walkaround's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 III
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow