Isn't it amazing......

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 3,742
Like?
Re: An anology.
In reply to Stacey_K, Apr 27, 2013

Stacey_K wrote:

Lets compare this to another maturing technology, computers. When they first became "mainstream" which I feel at least for me was around when win 95 and the first pentium chips were released, things changed very rapidly.

For me it was just a tiny bit earlier, when Wordstar used page swapping to disc that allowed the editing of documents too large to fit in the 8080/Z-80's limited memory, usually less than 48kb. This was well before digital cameras appeared and that's a good thing. Back then hard drives were outrageously expensive, even if you were able to somehow get one of the largest to interface properly, and then most wouldn't be large enough to hold one of today's RAW photo files, even though they were larger than a full size desktop computer.

http://www.wordstar.org/index.php/wordstar-history

I guess my point is, I replaced my computer more times in the first 5 years than I did over the next 15. Maybe if I was doing very intensive things that were really pushing the technology, I would have upgraded more often.

I think the same thing is true of digital photography. The early years saw rapid and drastic improvements from model to model for your average user. At this point these improvements are incremental and only people who are pushing say a D7000 to the edge of what it can handle will see the next step as a big one. I'm not and have no plans to get sucked into a "upgrade".

That's perfectly reasonable considering your own usage and needs, but for many users even a D90 has needed computer upgrades, mainly when memory is insufficient. Working with large photo-stitched panoramas and using many Photoshop layers can slow computers to a crawl if 32-bit software is used (where previous versions of Photoshop is limited to 1.7GB or 3.2GB depending on the version of Windows)  or if there isn't enough memory in the computer. With 64-bit software and 64-bit Windows this may not be a problem, but not all of today's computers come with 8GB or even 4GB of memory, and some can't be expanded beyond those limits.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow