dradam
Senior MemberPosts: 2,601
Like?
Re: "Pie in the Sky Drive" out here...
In reply to migibson99, Apr 27, 2013

migibson99 wrote:

Michael Firstlight wrote:

For the desktop, Metro is awful.

Worse, I am a developer and installed the very first developer preview edition within the first hour of its release

This is the part of the "debate" that perplexes me.    I don't know you well enough to call you an expert, but  given that you are a developer, I would assume you have a reasonably good idea of what you are talking about.  You appear to be someone who can comment knowledgably about Windows 8, and you are critical, yet many proponents of Windows 8 dismiss all criticsm as coming from people who are lazy or not techically savy (among other things).   You seem to be neither.

I just don't see how people can be so dismissive of criticism.    At what point do you stop blaming the user, and look to the software itself?

There are many many valid criticisms of Windows 8.  The reason I and others feel that much of the reaction to Windows 8 to be "knee-jerk" (for lack of a better term) is that people seem so confused over truly simple tasks.

Take Michael for example.  He appears to be technically proficient (being a developer and all) but then we get this:

"The blocks themselves are too big, two dimensional, you can't place them where you want, you have to scroll across multiple screens to find and locate programs"

The blocks are resizable, groupable, and it is as simple as clicking and dragging to move them around.  It is so remarkably, bafflingly easy to do all this that for Michael to be unable to figure it out implies that he is either really really stupid (unlikely) or just hasn't even made the effort to try.

I honestly couldn't care less if people didn't like or didn't want Windows 8.  What I find strange are those that spend so much time condemning it without apparently having even tried it.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
yesNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow