ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
CrisPhoto
Contributing MemberPosts: 559Gear list
Like?
Fisheye defishing and comparing
Apr 27, 2013

Hi,

recently I bought the Samyang 7.5/f3.5 fisheye because I wanted to see with my own eyes what can be done with such a lens. I already have the mFT 9-18mm so this lens duo might be redundant and at the end I have to decide which lens to keep ...

First day I went out and took some test pictures (unfortunately the weather and light was not good.)

There have been many threads about fisheyes and UWA lenses in this forum, but a want to show you my own results. This is not a thread about "having fun with fisheye" as such, it is more about the "defishing" theme.

I went to my favorite barn and made the following pictures:

• Panasonic 12-35 @12mm
  • Olympus mFT 9-18mm @9mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm defished @6mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm defished cropped to FOV 9mm
  • Samyang 7.5mm defished with "Panini" projection
  • 3x Pana12-35 (portrait orientation) stitched with "general Panini" projection

Panasonic 12-35 @12mm

Olympus 9-18 @9mm

Samyang 7,5mm

Samyang 7.5 defished rectilinear (FOV 6mm)

Samyang defished and cropped to 9mm

Samyang with "general Panini" projection (FOV 4,5mm?)

3x Pana 12-35 @12mm stitched with "general Panini" projection (FOV 4.5 again)

My current opinion is like this:

• The fisheye is very sharp
  • It can be used as a UWA and the sharpness is acceptable like 10MPixels
  • It is very versatile. I made very astonishing "fisheyes" and some UWA pictures as well
  • Defishing rectilinear is way to extreme, needs cropping away 30%
  • Defishing with Panini projection gives very nice "instant panoramas". Sharpness is good enough for screen and medium prints and I would say it looks like 10Mpxls resolution

I would really like to hear your feedback or your experiences regarding the fisheye versatility/defishing thing.

Best regards

Christof

-- hide signature --

OM-D + Sam7.5, PL25, O45, O75
P12-35, O75-300

CrisPhoto's gear list:CrisPhoto's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +6 more
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow