Is mirrorless the worst of all worlds? and FF the best?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrtrent
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,319
Like?
Two lenses might be too much!
In reply to zenpmd, Apr 27, 2013

zenpmd wrote:

APS-C systems, except Pentax, lack good primes. On FF on Nikon and Canon, you can buy exceptional 85mm 1.8 for example and its not a big package. So APSC is not the answer either.  With the price of the 6d and d600 there is no reason not to go full frame now and just become a great photographer with the 35mm and the 85mm. This is my plan and this week I am going to order the 6d!!!

So it seems to me that it makes sense to continue working with bigger cameras for now. The people who complain about weight are those who are already doing stupid things like carrying two zooms, when they should be armed with just the 35mm and 85mm.

Interested to hear your thoughts to the contrary!

A full frame camera with a couple of lenses is a great choice.  My thoughts to the contrary are that when I was using a Contax SLR, I bought the 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm lenses from Zeiss to go with it.  What I found over time was that I used the 50mm lens 95% of the time, occasionally found use for the 85mm, and the 35mm stayed in a drawer because I just didn't like the results using a wide angle lens.  Your preferences may be different, of course, but I could happily live with just a 50mm and never have to change lenses!  I did something similar a few years ago, buying the Sigma SD14 with just their 30mm F/1.4 (51mm equivalent).  I never felt like I needed anything different.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow