Need help deciding which lens to get for my new OLYMPUS E-PL5

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,510
Like?
Re: Need help deciding which lens to get for my new OLYMPUS E-PL5
In reply to Grobb, Apr 27, 2013

tron555 wrote:

OK, it makes a lot of sense to get the kit lens (Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm f/3.5-5.6 ED) for only $50 extra. Since 95% of my shooting is done outside (in sunny Florida) it should work out well until I get familiar with the E-PL5. Since I do very little low light shooting, I will need to get a telephoto lens and I am planning on getting this lens: OLYMPUS ZUIKO DIGITAL ED40-150mmF4.0-5.6 for an extra ($209). Can anyone tell me if this telephoto lens would not be a good complement to my kit lens? I read some good reviews that said this is also a good lens, Panasonic LUMIX G VARIO 45-150 mm / F4.0-5.6 ASPH ($253). I would rather stay with OLYMPUS ED lenses if possible. If there is a much better tele lens that is sharper/faster and cost less than $400, please advise. It would be nice (not mandatory) to have a slightly weather sealed lens and I don’t care about the size or weight, only build and optical quality is that matters to me.

Thanks for all your help!!!

PS, someday I will get a quality prime lens if/when I feel the need for one "or" if the kit lens really lacks in the 5% of low light shooting I occasionally do. But for now, I just need something to put in a padded fanny pack I have, take on fishing trips and fun family vacations.

The Olympus 40-150 is worth the very affordable price if you want a zoom lens. The zoom is a little stiff, but what do you expect for such a low price? It often goes on sale. I paid only $100 for mine, brand new.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow