Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Joe Tam
Regular MemberPosts: 364
Like?
Blackrapid strap almost killed $9000 worth of gear
Apr 27, 2013

I bought the Blackrapid Doublestrap DR-1 a month ago and it almost destroyed my D4 and 70-200/2.8 VR2.  I lifted up my camera to shoot and was switching to my 24-70 during a news event .  Just as I was lowering my camera towards my hip i noticed that the camera was not attached to the blackrapid connect r-2.(part that attaches to tripod mount screw)

I was confused as to how the camera could have come off the CR-2 because I always make sure to tighten the thumb screw part on the connect-r2.  I checked and it was tight then i noticed I could push down on the screw part and the connect-r2 opened and I saw the broken piece.

I had taken precautions in case the buckle broke off from the part that attaches to the strap.  I just never thought there was another point of failure on the Connect R-2.

I really like working with the Blackrapid but want to warn others that this problem can seriously damage their cameras.  I am glad that I noticed the camera was not attached or else it would have dropped on concrete during a fast-paced news situation.

The salesman at very large New York City camera store said another customer had recently said this happened.  It is a very troubling design issue and needs to be addressed by Blackrapid before more gear is damaged.

Anyone using the Sun-Sniper Bear Camera Screw on the DR-1?  How did you get it on?  I have heard you will have to cut the threads on the strap and will have to have them sewn on at a shoe repair shop.

Broken piece

Nikon D4
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow