Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
cvort
New MemberPosts: 5
Like?
Epson R2880: nozzle check/spontaneous head cleaning
Apr 27, 2013

Need some help with this problem. I've recently purchased a new R2880 and I do a nozzle check  periodically to make sure the heads stay clear. I do not produce prints every day; sometimes several days or more go by before I print an image. However, I do the nozzle check every day OR TWO. If I do it every day, the printer happily prints, but if I wait more than a day, the printer goes through a HEAD CLEANING BEFORE THE NOZZLE CHECK. I do not choose auto head cleaning, just nozzle check. Epson has replaced the original model twice for me (new, not refurbished, as the problem was within the first 30 days). This has happened on all three printers. It also occurs whether I do a nozzle check through the print driver or through the printer itself while the computer is off (i.e., press the power and paper buttons simultaneously). Once it does a head cleaning, it will not do it again for two days. These spontaneous, unrequested, head cleanings use up about 10% of the ink in every cartridge (ABOUT $10 WORTH!). Apparently, the printers seem to have some sort of timer in them that senses when too much time (more than an day, it seems) passes without use of the printer. This is far too costly and I really don't want to be a slave to the printer, making sure I do a nozzle check daily (which I can't always do). I have the printer plugged directly into a wall outlet; I have a 6' usb cable; I changed cables and tried a different computer. All these efforts did not help.

Does anyone have a suggestion which will allow me to bypass this head cleaning nearly every time I request a nozzle check? Anyone else having this problem? Love the output; hate the printer.

Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow