Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
photoreddi
Senior MemberPosts: 4,194
Like?
Re: Just published: Our in-depth Nikon D7100 review
In reply to mosswings, Apr 27, 2013

mosswings wrote:

KenHanson wrote:

Modern Nikons can convert an (actually save another) image stored as a pure RAW file into a JPEG file with several editing and rendering options totally within the camera.  This can be useful if you decide, for example, that you want to upload a JPG, suitably cropped or rendered, to a computer or a social networking site, or to display for a client.

Yes, I know all that. I guess I didn't make myself clear. My question is whether the D7100 does any processing on the data that it outputs as the raw file?

The statement in the review seems to indicate that it may, which contradicts my understanding that the raw files contains the sensor measurements without any processing, except possibly to compress the data.

RAW is never really truly "raw" anymore, just minimally processed.  The sensor measurements are encoded and a lot of low level processing is done on the signal to reduce and balance noise contributions.  Long Exposure NR is an example of this: a dark frame subtraction is done.  High ISO NR is another.

Another example is Nikon's Hot Pixel Suppression algorithm, discovered by a DPR forum regular whose findings (taken to Nikon, JP by Thom Hogan) eventually resulted in improved algorithms.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/50866721

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow