Alex Sarbu
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,471Gear list
Like?
Re: Because FF affects APS-C development too
In reply to Zvonimir Tosic, Apr 27, 2013

Zvonimir Tosic wrote:

Alex Sarbu wrote:

breeze_of_wind wrote:

This is getting awfully tired.  Rumors from China now get us all excited.  As a small company I thought Pentax had the potential to be nimble and quick.  It now seems they are at best at being slow and obtuse. A sad day.

John

I'm curious, how do you define "nimble and quick" vs "slow and obtuse"? You're giving such verdicts based on what?

Alex

I  can try answering that.

Indeed, but as we'll see you're not addressing my question.

Because if Pentax did not plan the FF before Photokina 2012 (which is highly likely for during the Photokina they kept silent about it), it is also possible they had to redesign the future, or imminent APS-C line too, redefine pricing as well (pricing is affected by design choices and market segmentation).

Not related to how do you define "nimble and quick" vs "slow and obtuse"?.

And by the way, Pentax was working on FF before Photokina 2012 even though the lower prices of the new cameras changed things a little bit.

This means FF directly impacts the APS-C development as well. Pentax suddenly faced a *totally different competition and market segmentation* — Photokina was flooded by FF offers, yet Pentax didn't talk even about their next advanced APS-C.

Having to face market changes does not make a company "nimble and quick" instead of"slow and obtuse"; how they act is relevant. So far, I don't see any reasonable (not armchair expert's wishful thinking) estimations about how fast Pentax should and could act.

To put it bluntly, they were falling behind quite seriously even in their own APS-C niche because Nikon, Canon and Sony have redefined what Pentax shall deliver, at what price and at what new market segment, and not only in FF market segment, but in APS-C market segment too. That is why it appears they are "slow". When your future position is defined by others, then you really are behind the game.

If you ignore the time spent under Hoya (hostile takeover, cost cutting, downsizing, preparing for sale) and the disruption caused by the actual sale. I wouldn't.

But even so, what you're saying is that Pentax has a lot to do, in order to react to some "dramatic" change (all the new FF cameras aren't cheaper than the old A850, by the way). Having a lot to do and being "slow and obtuse" are different things; unless you define being "nimble and quick" as doing nothing

Again, what does it mean being "slow and obtuse"?

Alex

Alex Sarbu's gear list:Alex Sarbu's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Pentax smc DA* 60-250mm F4.0 ED (IF) SDM Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 70mm F2.4 AL Limited +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow