Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,181Gear list
Like?
Because FF affects APS-C development too
In reply to Alex Sarbu, Apr 27, 2013

Alex Sarbu wrote:

breeze_of_wind wrote:

This is getting awfully tired.  Rumors from China now get us all excited.  As a small company I thought Pentax had the potential to be nimble and quick.  It now seems they are at best at being slow and obtuse. A sad day.

John

I'm curious, how do you define "nimble and quick" vs "slow and obtuse"? You're giving such verdicts based on what?

Alex

I  can try answering that.

Because if Pentax did not plan the FF before Photokina 2012 (which is highly likely for during the Photokina they kept silent about it), it is also possible they had to redesign the future, or imminent APS-C line too, redefine pricing as well (pricing is affected by design choices and market segmentation).

This means FF directly impacts the APS-C development as well. Pentax suddenly faced a *totally different competition and market segmentation* — Photokina was flooded by FF offers, yet Pentax didn't talk even about their next advanced APS-C.

To put it bluntly, they were falling behind quite seriously even in their own APS-C niche because Nikon, Canon and Sony have redefined what Pentax shall deliver, at what price and at what new market segment, and not only in FF market segment, but in APS-C market segment too. That is why it appears they are "slow". When your future position is defined by others, then you really are behind the game.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow