Pentax China Confirms FF DSLR and Pro APS-C body

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Zvonimir Tosic
Senior MemberPosts: 2,107Gear list
Like?
A textbook example on how to make users indifferent
In reply to oklaphotog, Apr 27, 2013

Pentax has not issued anything seriously new in almost 3 years.  Photokina 2012 was the time to show as least something, some enthusiasm, even a seriously advanced APS-C if not a FF prototype, but instead, a K5 sans AA was showed.

I feel that then, during the Photokina 2012, Pentax actually started FF plans seriously, and all new APS-C plans in consequence too — when Nikon and Canon and Sony flooded the floors with their new FFs and everyone was buzzing the FF tune. The lack of commitment for the FF doesn't only reflect on how the future Pentax FF line will look, but how the APS-C line will look like too.

It is possible that all new FFs from other manufacturers caught Pentax off guard. Because they didn't plan the FF yet, they had to redesign the future or imminent APS-C line too because they suddenly faced a totally different competition and market segmentation.

Which is sad, really. Coming late, even to its own game (APS-C) makes users indifferent if there is nothing new to show. Now they must spend more time, and more energy to think about "what new things to include, dammit?" just to keep their market presence. Which is far, far away from leading the market in anything.

On the other hand, I hope I'm wrong.

Zvonimir Tosic's gear list:Zvonimir Tosic's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow