Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Klipsen
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,078Gear list
Like?
It's the opposite
In reply to SteveY80, Apr 27, 2013

SteveY80 wrote:

Bjorn_L wrote:

Actually this is not the case the the lenses I think he is askng about.  I assume that he is asking about the Tamron 60mm f/2 and the Tamron 90mm f/2.8.  These have nearly the same working distance since the Tamron 60mm suffers from much less focus breathing then any other macro lens.  Meaning at 1:1 it gives nearly the same working distance as the 90mm.

I guess that makes sense considering how much the older 90mm Tamron extends when at 1:1. The newer version is internal focus though, so I'd have thought that it would have a working distance advantage.

In reality, it's the other way around. Instead of extending the lens, the focus system works halfway like a zoom, reducing the focal length to focus at shorter distances while keeping the extension unchanged.

I don't believe any SLR manufacturer reveals the actual focal length at 1:1 or other magnification ratios, but my own test shows that Minolta's 200 mm macro has its focal length reduced to a mere 105 mm at 1:1. Still, the ringflash-to-subject distance is just under 25 cm, while with my 50 mm macro it's less than 5 cm, so there's definitely still an advantage when shooting insects and spiders.

-- hide signature --

Ceterum censeo soleam calidam ISO esse delendam.

Klipsen's gear list:Klipsen's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +16 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow