Started Apr 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
DickyAus
Contributing MemberPosts: 777Gear list
Like?
HS50 first day out
Apr 27, 2013

My first impressions of the HS50 out of the box were quite positive, I took a few shots around the house and yard and was generally quite pleased. I set up the camera using Lloydy's settings. After my first day out I think I have bought a lemon. I have all sorts of issues with focus; 50% of 'point and shoot' photos are totally out of focus. The shots were taken in EXR and P modes (at least according to the dial). This first photo isn't too bad considering it's quite a warm day and there is a fair bit of heat haze.

The next five shots look like this:

Long zoom hand held at a distance of about 15 feet (in quite poor light to be fair) took several attempts to lock focus onto this:

Macro shots were also hard to focus even in quite good light; the intended target here was the ant tending its crop to the left of the main flowers. Close but no cigar.

Full zoom hand held  was also inconsistent, I was quite happy with this

But same swamp hen and camera settings and either she has just let a big one go or the image processing has gone awry in the area around her.

The same ghost effect can be seen to a lesser extent in this next photo. Just to the left of the dark figure on the right. You will need to view it at 100% to see the fuzzy area. Fiddling with the RAW image gave a lot more detail but the 'ghost' is still there:

The blur in the centre of the frame is smoke from a burn off.

The camera has the latest firmware update and, yes, the vertical motion panorama still works OK.

If anyone thinks I have stuffed up in some way please give me a few clues.

Dicky.

DickyAus's gear list:DickyAus's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix HS50 EXR Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow