Is mirrorless the worst of all worlds? and FF the best?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Great Bustard
Forum ProPosts: 23,182
Like?
Re: 'Tis indeed.
In reply to Ed Rizk, Apr 27, 2013

Ed Rizk wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

Ed Rizk wrote:

I would like to try the 6D, first to use the 17mmTSE and second for its low light advantages.

Well, with a TSE lens, depending on the scene, you can use a wide aperture and still get a "deep" DOF.  Other times, however, you cannot, so you'll have to stop down.

I generally use f8 on a tripod, although I understand that I could stop down more on FF without diffraction.  Of course I don't know if I could stop down enough to get more DOF considering the sensors contribution to DOF.

http://www.josephjamesphotography.com/equivalence/index.htm#diffraction

In terms of cross-format comparisons, all systems suffer the same from diffraction softening at the same DOF.  This does not mean that all systems resolve the same detail at the same DOF, as diffraction softening is but one of many sources of blur (lens aberrations, motion blur, large pixels, etc.).  However, the more we stop down (the deeper the DOF), diffraction increasingly becomes the dominant source of blur.  By the time we reach the equivalent of f/32 on FF (f/22 on APS-C, f/16 on mFT and 4/3), the differences in resolution between systems is trivial.

For example, consider the Canon 100 / 2.8L IS macro on a 5D2 (21 MP FF) vs the Olympus 14-42 / 3.5-5.6 kit lens on an L10 (10 MP 4/3).  Note that the macro lens on FF resolves significantly more (to put it mildly) at the lenses' respective optimal apertures, due to the macro lens being sharper, the FF DSLR having significantly more pixels, and the enlargement factor being half as much for FF vs 4/3.  However, as we stop down past the peak aperture, all those advantages are asymptotically eaten away by diffraction, and by the time we get to f/32 on FF and f/16 on 4/3, the systems resolve almost the same.

Just thought I'd point that out.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow