Thom Hogan's assessment of a D400

Started Apr 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
hval
Regular MemberPosts: 138Gear list
Like?
Re: What I Like on D200 & D300
In reply to jfriend00, Apr 27, 2013

Jfriend00,

I tried the multi camera approach by using a compact camera or a micro four thirds camera. It just did not work for me.  I found that I still wanted to do the same photography as at home but was unable to do so due to limitations of the camera kit, and me not being able to get used to the menu system or button layout of the micro four thirds camera.  I did enjoy the size and weight of the Panasonic GH-1 though.  I also liked the tilting/ rotating rear screen which is great for low level macro, or videoing over the heads of a crowd, and whilst taking photos but not looking like you are.

I already compromise on having a DX sensor camera.  This is a compromise I am willing to accept for the reach I get for wild life, birds and a few other things.  The lenses tend to be physically smaller and lighter than FF cameras as well.  I really can not afford to go for two camera bodies.  If I go Full Frame I shall have to replace three of my five lenses (something I may be doing anyway). Also, I am unable to afford the D4.  The D800 doesn't really do it for me;  too many megapixels (I have two tripods, one monopod, mini tripods, but still shoot hand held most the time). Also the number of frames per second is not great With the D800. But then the full frame sensors offer better low light capabilities which would be of use to me.  If I could get a DX "Holy Trinity" with the same F 2.8 as the big version, I would go for it. The Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 is an example of a lens I will probably get (depending upon reports).  I am scratching my head though of how it would fit in to my planned range of lenses. Here is a list of photography I like to do:

• Wild life
  • Birds
  • Landscapes
  • Sun rise/ sun sets
  • Macro
  • Street photography
  • Reportage style photography at events, parties etc (I am generally not a an of poised photography)
  • Airshows/ aviation
  • General opportunist photography of anything that might catch my attention (sheep doing tap dancing in bowler hats and a bow tie for instance)

Due to my preference for reportage style photography I don't use a flash. This is an example of where a Full Frame sensor would be better.  Having said that I am able to get some reasonably low light photographs with primes on the D200.

hval's gear list:hval's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FX500 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +15 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow