New Mom & amateur photog w/ questions re: backdrops/lighting for my baby/toddler

Started Apr 27, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
AUalum10
New MemberPosts: 10Gear list
Like?
New Mom & amateur photog w/ questions re: backdrops/lighting for my baby/toddler
Apr 27, 2013

Hello all!

After numerous google searches on this topic, and after reading this site for hours today, I've finally admitted defeat. Some of the more advanced posts that discuss similar topics are so over my head that I turned to google every other word or acronym. I'm hoping someone has some basic advice for me (I did complete half an MBA program before taking a LOA to start a family but photography was obviously not my area of concentration).

My only daughter's first birthday is coming up but I'd like to take some nice ones at home (when I can guarantee she's happy and can take breaks whenever she wants). I do have a session booked with a "pro" photog but it takes more time to get my daughter's photos back than it took both the photographers who shot my wedding!

I have a Nikon 5100 (don't laugh, I said I was amateur!) and the 18-55 and 55-300 kit lenses that came with it. I also have the Speedlight SB-700 and 50MM 1:1.8G lens (my latest obsession--the photos in my gallery were taken with it). I also have a very basic tripod (Dolica ZX600B300 Proline ZX Series 60-Inch Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head) and a remore that I haven't used because I misplaced it after it was delivered. I'd really like recommendations on which backdrop and lighting kits I should use to be able to take home photos of her/our little family once a month or so. Definitely a modest budget (after all the other baby expenses and photography classes I've taken for this purpose, I don't see stretching the budget too much more). That being said, I do want something that will hold up through multiple moves (and that I can let my other budget-minded mom friends borrow to photograph their own babies).

Suggestions? Recommendations? I read on another thread that someone had ordered the kit below and liked it but my main question is, is a 6x9 backdrop big enough to "grow" with my child? Or will I likely outgrow it quickly and need a larger one anyway (10x20?).

http://amzn.com/B0054K85JY

Although her first birthday cake smash pics will be done in a studio with the aforementioned "pro," I'd like a few of my own as the 9 month photos were not pro quality and required another session to capture clear, non-blurry photos.

Thank you all so much for your time. I've quite enjoyed reading so many posts today...and someday hope to possess even 1/8 of your knowledge!

Cheers!

AUalum10's gear list:AUalum10's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-300mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow