Is mirrorless the worst of all worlds? and FF the best?

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Ed Rizk
Senior MemberPosts: 1,400
Like?
Re: 'Tis indeed.
In reply to Great Bustard, Apr 27, 2013

Great Bustard wrote:

Ed Rizk wrote:

Smaller and lighter is still smaller and lighter even if it doesn't fit in your pocket.

Except, why not smaller and lighter still that will fit in your pocket?

For some uses, with some space/weight constraints, without such IQ requirements, pocketable is the way to go.  APSC is a compromise.

If you travel by air, backpack, bike, or to a lesser extent camp or travel by car, every ounce and cubic inch saved counts

RX100, then?

A cool camera, not as good as a DSLR for many things, but a great pocketable.

I want a 6D too.  Still, I would like to keep my EFs lenses and my 60D, or replace it with a mirror less or SL1.  Even the larger of the smaller sensor cameras has a bulk advantage, especially with EFs telephotos.  Sure, the 100-400 on FF is better than the 55-250 on crop, but the 55-250 is tiny and weighs nothing by comparison.

How 'bout the FZ200, then?

Ditto

The shallow DOF is a disadvantage for most of my shots.

Is it too much effort to stop down?

No, but you lose some of the low light capability.  Shallow DOF is the price for getting the lowest light hand held shots without flash.

Landscapes and architecturals are worse off for it.

Then don't shoot landscapes and architecture with wide apertures.

That's the point.  Shallow DOF is not always an advantage.

High ISO performance on such shots is overcome by a tripod and DR is overcome by HDR.

Assuming no distracting motion in the scene.

True

In candid photos of multiple people, shallow DOF is also a disadvantage.

Not always:

Canon 6D + Sigma 35 / 1.4 @ f/1.4, 1/125, ISO 100

That said, you can always stop down:

Canon 6D + 50 / 1.2L @ f/2.8, 1/60, ISO 2500

Your pics would be good with any camera, therefore are not a fair comparison.

You're trying to document the interaction of several people, but only one eye of one person will be sharp if you're lucky.

It always amazes me how many people can't quite seem to figure out to stop down if they need more DOF.  I mean, duh, in a light limited environment the greater DOF will cost you the noise advantage of the larger format for a given shutter speed, but so many here seem to be like the monkey with its hand stuck in the cookie jar 'cause it won't let go of a few cookies.  That is, they fail to understand the connection between DOF and noise in that both depend on the size of the aperture.

That is another set of trade offs in a world full of trade offs.

APSc and morrorless have their place.

Their place is based entirely on size, weight, and price.

As are the other formats.

I would like to try the 6D, first to use the 17mmTSE and second for its low light advantages.

Well, with a TSE lens, depending on the scene, you can use a wide aperture and still get a "deep" DOF.  Other times, however, you cannot, so you'll have to stop down.

I generally use f8 on a tripod, although I understand that I could stop down more on FF without diffraction.  Of course I don't know if I could stop down enough to get more DOF considering the sensors contribution to DOF.

Maybe after using it, I'll also find everything else useless, but I don't think so.

A 6D + 17 TSE will still be larger, heavier, and more expensive than APS-C and mirrorless for the same AOV.

It is probably worth the size and price to me for some situations.  I may like the extra IQ well enough to haul it around all the time.  Who knows?

The plan is to rent one with the lenses that interest me for my next long road trip and see how much better it is in my hands with my processing skills.  I am also eyeing used prices and a deal I could resell without much loss might be another way to test it out.

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
WowNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow