Which of these do you like best?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Docno
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,100Gear list
Like?
Re: ► Now please look at these ◄
In reply to Chris Crevasse, Apr 27, 2013

Chris Crevasse wrote:

In your first group of photos (a great photo, by the way), I prefer the second punchier photo.  In the side-by-side comparison, the first looks too flat.  This is somewhat of an odd conclusion for me, because I generally prefer more muted, lower-contrast portraits.  Maybe my tastes are changing.  As for your second group of photos, her face seems too bright and washed out.

Yeah - I think I'm the same as you on this count and am not crazy about a lot of saturation. My personal preference (I think) leans toward portraits with muted colours (even monochrome), though I do like contrasty images. I first liked the naturalistic version of the shot. But after I 'bumped it up' to version 2 then looked back at version 1, it also looked dull and flat to me. Maybe just a contrast effect... or maybe just how our perceptual systems operate. In fact, they say that camera companies intentionally boost the saturation and contrast of their cameras' 'default' jpegs because this is what the public wants to see and what they expect of 'realistic' images....

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha NEX-7
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
2New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow