SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
alcelc
Contributing MemberPosts: 855Gear list
Like?
Re: SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!
In reply to goshigoo, Apr 27, 2013

goshigoo wrote:

Great Bustard wrote:

JosephScha wrote:

yes, I do know. I used to actually join in equivalence discussion but gave up when told that despite equal light intensity at the sensor f stops were not equivalent on m43 because total light was less... so wrong.

It's a shame that you can't understand that f/2.8 on mFT puts the same amount of light on the sensor as f/5.6 on FF for a given shutter speed, which, in turn, results in the same noise for equally efficient sensors.

I used to have a pany FZ7 with a 1/2.5" sensor that had pretty poor dynamic range and egregious noise at is 200.

That's because so little light fell on the sensor compared to larger sensor systems for a given exposure.

I was looking for a similar size and weight camera with better image quality and m43 fit my needs. I did not want a ff DSLR. I didn't want a 645 camera or a hasselblad with a phase one back. If I was really going for best IQ I don't know if even that is it. I was aiming for improved IQ, ability to shoot raw, and still have a small light camera.. at a cost I could justify to myself. Arguments that a Canon 1DS has better IQ I will concede, and it does not trouble me.

Makes perfect sense.

I think with the introduction of speed booster; it helps people understanding the concept of "f/2.8 on mFT puts the same amount of light on the sensor as f/5.6 on FF for a given shutter speed, which, in turn, results in the same noise for equally efficient sensors."
As using a speed booster converts a FF 24-70 f/2.8 lens into a 12-35 f/1.4 @ m43 lens
so you can see the light gathering capability (and Dof) of both lenses are the same

and there will be no size advantage to use a native m43 mount 12-35 f/1.4 as it will be as big as the FF version of 24-70 f/2.8, if panasoinc decided to make one
I think Canon should release more small sized lenses like the 40 f/2.8 - e.g. 24-70 f/5.6, 24 f/4, 85 f/4.....etc.

I am sure these lenses, when paired with the smallest DSLR EOS Rebel SL1, is a better response to mirrorless comparing to EOS M

Yes, but indeed still using a 2009 EOS 7D sensor? It must be a very good response to the fast improving M43 technology.

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow