Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Daisy AU
Senior MemberPosts: 1,560Gear list
Like?
Re: The only thing around here less credible
In reply to Jared Huntr, Apr 27, 2013

Jared Huntr wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

is DPR's reviewing staff who apparently won't look at their own comparison widget which clearly shows a difference between the D5200 and the D7100.

DPR never said there wasn't a difference.

"Our conclusion after viewing dozens of comparisons was that outside the controlled environment of our studio, even extremely minor shifts in focus or (potentially) sensor alignment could trump the absence of an OLPF in accounting for any visible differences between the D7100 and D5200."

The take-away is that there is no PRACTICAL advantage. I'm not sure why that concept is so difficult to grasp.

And before anyone attempts to extrapolate these results into a general statement that removing AA filters make no difference, DON'T. We are only referring to the D7100.

In my view, there is a difference between the D7100 and D5200 even in the shots taken outside the controlled lab tests.  I guess it's all about what "practical" is for one or another.  The "practical" difference is not enough for me to upgrade from the D7000, but for others (who pixel-peep and/or do large prints, etc.) it might be an important factor.  The bottom line is:  Did the removal of the low pass filter make a difference?  YES.

Is this difference important to me in my "practical" use?  Absolutely NOT.

If I didn't have the D7000 and was upgrading from another model, I would probably get the D7100 instead of the D7000.

Each to their own.

-- hide signature --

Thanks,
Daisy AU - Brisbane

Daisy AU's gear list:Daisy AU's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S9100 Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm f/1.8G +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
DataNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow