D7100 or K-5IIs

Started Apr 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
jamesm007
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,407Gear list
Like?
Re: D7100 or K-5IIs
In reply to SMACRAE, Apr 26, 2013

The review of the D7100 shows the Nikon in a different photographic/tool category lower than the Pentax K5(s). The sealing in any of Pentax WR dSLRs is air, dust, rain/splash tight. In all reality truly PRO level. Built for some hard knocks (not advisable however to any dSLR). Many of the lens are very low cost to maintain that sealing. The DA18-55mm WR receives a little bit too much negative user and PRO reviews. Almost all say its a good lens (in the center its sharper than the DA*300mm) but its also a tremendous bargain as is the DA35mm f/2.4 AL. for less than $400 you have two lens; a weather resistant metal mount pretty good quality zoom lens that covers a nice range. Its by far the most reliable kit lens due to its lack of IS and AF motors. It does have a  metal mount, and strong build compared to Canon/Nikon; IMO. Just see which lens are around 15 years from now. The DA35mm F/2.4 although not WR gives you PRO quality optics. I mean you can't get much better than this. Yea you can buy better but not many humans would see the extra $800 your paid for a lens to beat this one. Its a optical bargain, by far the best optical IQ bargain IMO.

But back to the D7100 versus the K5IIs. If you read DPR review you will find it states the D7100 is not sealed as well as the K5 and hints at lower build quality. You will have to read the review and see if you agree or not. Also it kinda states and shows the D7100 softening at mid/high ISO levels. I have not tested this to say if I agree.

Now in keeping with my new view of the cameras business, and trying to be honest. Yes I am a Pentax fan boy, yes but I saw the light a couple years ago (hard to explain). What am I saying?

None of the above cons of the Nikon D7100 versus the Pentax K5s would stop me from buying the Nikon D7100 if it met my needs. The Pentax system has some cons. Do you want top notch flash, look at Nikons from what I have seen so far. You live in the USA and want to see and touch and be able to buy local. Well Pentax is hard to find. In return for being hard to find it does offer more bang for the buck however.

So some 7 years ago I decided to go from digital pro-sumer P/S cameras to more expensive dSLRs. My pick was the Pentax K10D because it felt better than the Sony A100.   For years I was a hard core Pentax fanboy. Now, I am still a fan of Pentax (a fanboy) but understand there is always better or another IMO, and wait a few moments and even Pentax will make my dSLR (the K20D and K5) look backwards. All dSLRs are superb today IMO Just pick the one that makes you most happy when paying for it, even if you have to spend a few extra dollars, travel to see them, and look at lens you want if you can.

Let us know if you want. But good hunting

jamesm007's gear list:jamesm007's gear list
Pentax K20D Pentax K-5 Sigma 10-20mm F4-5.6 EX DC HSM Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow