A. Westreich
Senior MemberPosts: 1,195Gear list
Like?
Re: D600 vs d7100
In reply to Couper, Apr 26, 2013

Couper wrote:

A. Westreich wrote:

Neither.

Get a D5100 and start a college fund with the difference.

Good answer!

The reviews I've seen suggest image quality between the D5100 and D7100 are indistinguishable in normal use.  Focus "engines" are different between the two, so if the OP were to rent a 5100 and determine it takes care of his needs, he could save a bundle of money.

. . .

I know it sounded like a flip answer but I meant it sincerely.  All these answers going on about the arcane differences miss the op's point.  You are talking about taking photos of the kid at the park, in the pool, playing with grandparents - most of which are going to be either posted on Facebook or made into 5x7's to put on the piano or a holiday card.  It fits in a diaper bag, the IQ is great and you have plenty of money left over for a 35 1.8 (great for B-day parties) and a 70-300 for the infamous pre-school graduation (in four years!)

The only downside is that it probably isn't cheerio-proof.  But then I haven't seen any data on the D71K or D600 either . . .

A. Westreich's gear list:A. Westreich's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S DX Micro Nikkor 40mm F2.8 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6G ED VR
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow