SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
RealPancho
Senior MemberPosts: 1,014Gear list
Like?
Yes and no (or is it no and yes?)
In reply to dinoSnake, Apr 26, 2013

When we were in Yosemite NP last summer, I noticed an army of vacationers carrying these gargantuan Canon and Nikon monstrosities around. I thought, "good god, is there some benefit here that I'm unaware of? Those things are HUGE!"

When we got back home, I knew that I was ready for an upgrade, but the idea of carrying around something the size of a phone booth was most distasteful. Fortunately, there is one real camera store left in town, and after a visit there, I went home with an E-M5. I was told that if I was unsatisfied in any way, I could bring it back for a full refund. They must have been pretty confident. I still have it, and you'd just about have to pry it out of my rigor mortis induced grip to get it away from me.

So no, I didn't know specifics, but I did know that there were higher MP counts and better cameras in the world (Hasselblad, anyone?), but I knew after a few days with my E-M5 that the cost in dollars, size, and weight were not worth even considering. Admittedly, I wound up spending a pretty fair amount on the kit I've assembled, but the equivalent in "full frame" would have cost even more.

I've learned more about today's market since then, but if I had to make the decision all over again, the only change I might consider is taking the silver body over the black one.

-- hide signature --

Frank

RealPancho's gear list:RealPancho's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow