First Post - D800 soon, Please Advise: Which first two lenses?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
Robin Casady
Forum ProPosts: 11,824
Like?
D800 is cheaper in the long run.
In reply to Cytokine, Apr 26, 2013

Cytokine wrote:

Since the 1920's FX was the norm, and DX the newcomer, many of us here started with film slr's!

Actually, 4x5 was the norm in the 1920's. FX (35mm) cameras were known as miniature cameras.

Remember Speed Graflex cameras?

Starting with a D800 and learning on it is cheaper than working your way though a series of lesser cameras and finally upgrading to a D800.

I see nothing wrong with learning on a D800. It will teach one good technique because it wont hid the mistakes.

When I was in school, one of my better photo teachers would start beginners with a 4x5 view camera. It forced one to consider each shot and learn the basics.

I really don't understand the logic behind thinking a beginner is better off with a D5200 or D7100. The only reason I can see to go that route is if one is not sure they are really interested, or they can't afford anything else.

-- hide signature --

Robin Casady
http://www.robincasady.com/Photo/index.html
"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."
— Bertrand Russell

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow