Need help deciding which lens to get for my new OLYMPUS E-PL5

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
sigala1
Senior MemberPosts: 3,358
Like?
Re: Need help deciding which lens to get for my new OLYMPUS E-PL5
In reply to Grobb, Apr 26, 2013

tron555 wrote:

On Amazon, the E-PL5 comes with this lens: OLYMPUS: M.ZUIKO DIGITAL 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 II (seems OK to me)

http://www.amazon.com/Olympus-Interchangeable-Digital-Camera-14-42mm/dp/B0096WDMGC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1366994436&sr=8-1&keywords=OLYMPUS+E-PL5

I am not an expert in lens design or specifications, but wonder if there is not a better lens that is sharper/faster that I should order my E-PL5 with. From what I read (as best I can understand), this looks like a very good alternative: Panasonic: LUMIX G X VARIO PZ 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. POWER O.I.S. I would prefer this lens since it is much smaller and lighter, but is it still as fast and sharp as the one that comes as the kit lens? I don’t really want to give up quality and speed just to get the smaller lens. I don’t want to get too many lenses and want to get the best I can from to begin with.

http://www.four-thirds.org/en/microft/standard.html#i_014-042mm_f035-056_olympus

My priority is to be sharp and fast, not worried about movies. Since I am upgrading from a Canon G12 and want much faster AF and sharper images, should I just get the lens it comes with? ANY advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!

The Olympus 14-42 II is sharper than the Panazonic 14-42 PZ. The Olympus lens has a nice-feeling manual zoom ring, much better than using power zoom. The Olympus only weighs slightly more (I think less than an ounce difference). So yes, the PZ lens doesn't stick out quite as much, but you are paying $300 and giving up IQ and a manual zoom for this benefit.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow