A great deal on an excellent location monolight...

Started Apr 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Luke Kaven
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,307
Like?
Re: Compared to Nikon SB800 Speed light.
In reply to Jacques Cornell, Apr 26, 2013

Majikthize wrote:

Daniel Lauring wrote:

Ran it against the SB800 speed light.  The SB800 is Nikon's highest power unit.  The FP180 had maybe 1/3rd of a stop more power...not enough to make much of a difference.  The FP180's colors were considerably cooler as well.  I only compared full power.

All shots were with the speedlight or monolight behind the same umbrella.

The brightness of the scenes was about the same when shooting F9 with the FB180 and F8 with the SB800...about 1/3rd stop.

The FP180 is rated (didn't test) for 700 full power shots per charge while the SB800 gets about 150 from a set of NiMh's from what I've read.

Thanks for the info. I was hoping for another 1/3 stop or so, a 2 second recycle, and an AC adaptor for an always-on modeling light for portrait work. Alas. Since I've already got drawers full of hotshoe & handle-mount Metzes and Lumedynes, this doesn't offer me anything new. For someone who's just starting to assemble a portable studio kit, though, the FP180 looks like an interesting option, and it's a lot cheaper than a top-line speedlight. Not a bad product at all, just not what I need. Guess my best option is still an Alien Bees monolight for key light with modeling.

-- hide signature --

'No matter where you go, there you are.'

The Flashpoint FP620M is a very good AC-DC monolight, and has a very sturdy build at a great price, and a good proportional modeling light, and recycles fast.  I think it's the real bargain in gear that can be used day after day.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow