SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
azazel1024
Senior MemberPosts: 1,093Gear list
Like?
Re: SURVEY - Do FT / mFT users know the difference from "full frame"? Replies wanted!!
In reply to woof woof, Apr 26, 2013

Yeah, part of my want of a 5d was to reuse all of my OM lenses I had sitting in my camera bags. The OM-D E-M5 made me sit up and notice m4/3 in a big way. It had better high ISO noise, awesome IBIS (I was a little reluctant on the 5d because I did want a camera with IBIS after experiencing the IBIS in my wife's E-PL1), better or equal DR, much smaller size and weight, higher ISO, faster burst rate and larger buffer. Oh and tilting screen and weather resistant.

I decided to suck up having to buy all new lenses instead of just getting an adapter and I haven't looked back. Still stinging on having to buy all new lenses. 11 months in now and I FINALLY have something wider than a 28mm equivelent lens (I just got a Zuiko 12mm f/2 a couple of days back). I still don't have anything longer than a 90mm equivelent lens unless you count my 40-150...which I usually don't as I rarely use it (I don't really like zooms).

That said, I am not sad I moved to digital and I am not sad that I choose the system I did. It does still sting everytime I "have to" go buy a new lens to expand out my kit. I still at a minimum need the Zuiko 17/1.8 and 75/1.8. Even considering selling my Zuiko 17/2.8, that is more than another $1,000 worth of lenses I need to get, to get my kit basically to where I need it to cover 99.8% of any shooting I'd want to do like my film kit could cover.

It'll get there some year. Just not for another couple of years.

My OM-1 was pretty small and light for a film SLR and Zuiko OM lenses are pretty small for 35mm SLR lenses...but the m4/3 stuff cuts at least a 1/3rd of the weight and a bit of the size from my previous kit. Compared to if I had gone 5d, let alone 5d and started getting EOS lenses...the whole kit is maybe half the weight and size of all that. I like my light kit. I likei that much more that it performs so darned well.

-- hide signature --

Many things dealing with Olympus and their OM and Pen cameras, plus my general photography and musings http://omexperience.wordpress.com/

azazel1024's gear list:azazel1024's gear list
Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Yes.New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow