Which of these do you like best?

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
jrdu
Forum ProPosts: 20,450
Like?
If you are taking a portrait...the face is important
In reply to Docno, Apr 26, 2013

Docno, I respond to your threads because I like the way you shoot and I like the way you think. I've become a bit of a curmudgeon, not really feeling at home here on the dprairie so much any more, but please don't take my attitude as if it were aimed at you personally.

In the first set of photos, you took a shot when the girl's face was in shadow.  Now I might do that myself if I'm out with a friend who doesn't mind posing, because as you go along, you take a lot of shots, and not all of them are masterpieces.  But I don't share the lesser shots here in the forum.  I think if you start out with a face in shadow, then your excellent post work is really just playing catch up.  In a portrait, you want to get the best possible lighting on the face, then the background will be in the proper relaitionship to the figure.

The second set of photos is even more frustrating to me because you had a well exposed face, and then you gave it a treatment to overexpose it.  High key is cool, but again, I think that it works best if you shoot for it, not by reworking an ordinary shot.

This is not really a high key shot, but one that's been inverted like a negative.  I just posted a couple of my shots because it's only fair that if I'm taking potshots at you, I should give you a chance to shoot back at me.

-- hide signature --

John Dunn

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
2New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow