Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jim Cockfield
Forum ProPosts: 14,447
Like?
Zero fill it, restore from your backup
In reply to MikeFromMesa, Apr 26, 2013

MikeFromMesa wrote:

Michael Firstlight wrote:

Ditto...the answer you seek is buried in Windows Event Viewer.

First, thanks for all of the responses. I should have thought of the Event Viewer, but I completely forgot about it.

A check told me that the system has been having trouble reading from one particular logical sector and has been retrying, again and again. I am not sure this is the core problem for my system freeze and I will wait until the next one and, after the system "unfreezes", look again.

If this is the problem I still have no idea what app or system file is using that sector and I don't know of any way to find out. That means that either I will have to find a way to lock that sector out of use on my disc or replace this disc with another. In either case I suspect I will have to rebuild. If the sector is bad, then my backups (I backup with system images) may also be corrupt.

I'd "zero fill" the drive.  The drive manufacturers make software that can do that for you.  It's probably either a WD or Seagate drive, and both of them offer utilities that can do that for you.

Basically, that makes sure that all sectors are written to; meaning that the drive firmware will automatically mark those sectors as bad at the firmware level in EEPROM (versus just marking those sectors as bad at the file system level like you'd get running disk utilities like chkdsk) when it detects errors trying to write to a problem sector.

Sometimes, scan utilities that check for read errors only will miss borderline sectors (and even if they identify read errors, they're still only marking them as bad in the file system, versus in the drive's EEPROM).

So, zero filling the drive is a much better way to go to insure drive reliability going forward, and will give you a much better idea of the drive's condition so you can make a more informed decision about whether or not the drive should be replaced).

From what I gather from your other posts in this thread on the subject, you already have a good disk image backup that you could use after using a destructive process like zero filling one.  So, I'd suggest taking that approach (zero fill it using the disk manufacturer's software and run their diagnostics after doing that).Here's a post I made on the subject recently, that includes links to the drive manufacturers' software for that purpose:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/51002854

-- hide signature --

JimC
------

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow