D600 vs d7100

Started Apr 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
MikeInIndy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,052Gear list
Like?
Re: Try again
In reply to Grevture, Apr 26, 2013

Grevture wrote:

Well, then factor in things like DOF control and light gathering (of a FX sensor) in the equation and the DX option has noticeable less performance for the same money. And aside from light gathering and DOF control, the lens on a 24 MP DX camera need to deliver 1.5 times higher resolution then a lens on a 24 MP FX camera to produce similar output resolution.

So no, any f3.5-5.6 kit zoom on a DX sensor will not offer a similiar performance as the 24-85/3.5-4.5 does on a FX sensor. For that you will need to buy a more expensive DX lens, like a AF-S 17-55/2.8. The same principle applies for DX wide angle zoom compared to the 18-35/3.5-4.5.

The area where DX still has a advantage is in the price of the camera itself and in telephoto where the crop factor mean you often can get away with cheaper lenses.

-- hide signature --

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every moment of it!
By the way, film is not dead.
It just smell funny

If you're stuck on Nikon lenses, as I said in my reply, no, there's not a good option.  If you aren't, the third party 17-50 f2.8 options are all as cheap or cheaper than Nikons variable zooms, and MUCH cheaper than any fixed aperture zoom Nikon offers.  Same with the UWA, and frankly even Nikons own 12-24 f4 is the same price as the 18-35.  And in a UWA DOF control is not really a very relevant topic.  On the longer end a sigma 50-150 vs say a 70-200 f4 is still several hundred cheaper.  If you're a Nikon brand snob DX isn't really a much better option, at least until you get into the telephoto and longer ranges, but if you can live with third party solutions you can certainly get most of the performance of FX without the price tag.  Arguably, the "look" of FX is better, I love my D600, but for someone who's starting out and wants one camera, I'm not sure starting at a 2000 dollar body is a sound suggestion.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikeInIndy's gear list:MikeInIndy's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow