Confirmed: No practical advantage to removing D7100 AA filter

Started Apr 25, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dirck
Forum MemberPosts: 72
Like?
Re: Here's the key statement of the whole deal....
In reply to Shunda77, Apr 26, 2013

Here is my two cents. Sold some Canon gear a year ago ( 7D and some good lenses, including 70-200L and 135 F2.0L) and was using a hired pro for motorcycle photography for a while. Needed own gear again and decided to buy into the Nikon system. Bodies come and go, but lenses do not. I wanted DX, because the depth of field generally works better for my purposes...I can more easily keep lenses in their sweet spot (f5.6 to f8, in general), but I like reasonably fast glass for low light (but don't always like to pay for it).

The lenses I have bought are excellent, and easily the equal of my Canon lenses. They include the 70-200 F4 (really love carrying this lens versus a 2.8 monster), 85mm F1.8G (wow is this sharp), 24-85 D600 kit lens (really outstanding on a DX body, and bought cheap from a D600 owner) and 35mm F1.8 (my only DX specific lens, but an incredible bargain).

I wanted the build of a 7D, but the D300S sensor needs updating, and I wanted the best DX sensor available. When I heard about the D5200, and saw that it had the same focus system as the D7000 and D600 (which I have used for tracking motorcycles at high speed with some success), I started to look at sample images and was really impressed. Bought one with a battery grip (body is too small without it), and have been really pleased. This was before the D7100 was announced.

Have been looking at D7100 files carefully, but I don't see a significant difference for my purposes. I agree that the removal of the AA filter offers some improvement in overall resolution and micro-contrast. Color saturation SOOC also appears deeper and more pleasing. Having said this, I still think D5200 files have a special look that the D7100 files do not. In any event, I want to see if Nikon will release a D300S successor, and take a look at that. I was spoiled by the much larger buffer on the 7D. I think a D400 might be 19 or 20 megapixels, which would be fine (there is a reason the pro sports bodies are under 20 megapixels).

Here are a couple samples I shot with the D5200, including one with the 70-200

F4 and one with the 85 F1.8.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
SameNew
DataNew
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow